Wednesday, March 17, 2010

round two

Carys started her second round of chemo yesterday. This time, she had 3 different drugs administered through her central line, one after the other. Each one took an hour, then she had to have 3 hours of IV fluids. So all up, we were in the day oncology unit for the day and didn't have to stay overnight. When they hung the 3rd bag of drugs to her trolley, and I saw that it was a black bag, it made me want to cry. I had read on Adrian's blog http://adrianau.blogspot.com/ that the black bags of chemo drugs are the really strong ones. It was also red in colour, whilst all the other ones she's had so far have been clear. It was awful to watch the poison dripping into her, and worrying how her little body would take it. Throughout the day, she was happy to play with a succession of toys provided at the hospital, and watch the comings and goings of the other day onc patients. Tane and Ian also came in to visit in the afternoon, and Tane was very helpful with keeping Carys supplied with toys! The only thing different about her yesterday was her appetite. All she seemed to want to eat were hot cross buns! Luckily I had brought 2 with me!
Today Carys seemed fine, except for her eating. She threw up most of what she ate, though she did manage to eat and keep down a whole banana. In fact she screamed at Ian when he didn't spoon it to her fast enough! The hospital did give me some anti-nausea medicine, but when I tried to give it to her, the screams and tears seemed the greater of 2 evils. So unless the vomiting goes on for more than another day, I'm not going to try and force the medicine down her throat.

1 comment:

  1. I came across your story through my blog link you had in your blog. Our story is almost 90% identical to yours except we chose to stay in HK for the treatments and Carys has a more favorable prognosis (Stage III NB).

    My heart goes out to you as I know exactly what you guys are going through. Hang in there... it's a relief knowing Carys tolerated well on chemo, I'm hoping for an uneventul journey for her! You guys are in our thoughts!

    p.s. There's an email support group called N-BLAST which offers tons of useful information in case you don't know. Here's the link.
    http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=N-BLASTOMA&H=LISTSERV.ACOR.ORG

    Love across the miles,
    Jenn - mother of Adrian (dx Stage IV NB in Feb 2007 at 10 mths old)
    http://adrianau.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete