Tuesday, March 9, 2010

here we go

this morning was hard. Carys has started to lose her hair. Although it's to be expected, nothing can quite prepare you for the suddenness. I took Carys to her usual tuesday check up and as we got ready, I didn't notice anything different about her. It wasn't until we got to the hospital and I went to take her out of the car seat that I saw her t-shirt covered in hair, and little wisps caught between her fingers. As I began to cry for her lost hair that had just begun to curl at the back of her neck, she just looked at me with her smiley face. I could just imagine her saying, 'don't worry mummy, it will grow back. just be patient.' Perhaps as adults, we bring forth our own preconceptions and fears of cancer and cancer treatment. But to a baby or child, it's just the way things are. I could learn a lot from that. In fact, the kids in the oncology wards here and in HK are just amazing. I said to Ian that it's both heartbreaking and inspiring to see these kids. Heartbreaking to see their little bald heads and bags of chemo drugs on IV trolleys, but so very inspiring to see them playing, chattering away to each other, and just being normal kids. Their strength of spirit is impossible to describe. It goes beyond amazing.
Carys's doctor continued to be encouraged by her progress, and has scheduled the next round of chemo to start on monday 15th. This time, it will be 3 different drugs administered over the course of a day, so we don't have to stay overnight in the hospital.
On the bright side, Ian and Tane arrived tonight! It's soooooo good to be together as a family again. I can't believe how much Tane has grown both physically and emotionally. He's up to my chest in height!!

3 comments:

  1. Darling Carys, I can well imagine all the hospital staff popping in to see her smile. Glad the family is all together again, Carys must get better from all the love flowing her way! Stay positive and God bless Carys, Tane, you and Ian. love, michelle, sabrina and the twins from singapore

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. Soo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna

    We cry with you and share your pain. We're praying for you and your family, and we're hoping that God does a miracle for Carys.

    Bernard (Nicole's husband)

    ReplyDelete