Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Reflection

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here, mainly because not much has been happening in terms of treatment for Carys. In the past couple of months, our focus has shifted from Carys’s medical needs, to finding some kind of normal rhythm to our lives. There have been a few major events that have helped us feel more settled here – firstly, Ian’s permanent resident visa came through, so now he’s able to stay in Australia indefinitely. Secondly, we’ve decided to build a new house. And thirdly, we confirmed Tane’s primary school enrolment for February next year. Although it is still hard for me to think about the future, I am glad that we are able to make some plans to move on with our lives here.
The past couple of months have also given me time to reflect on what’s happened this year. A friend of mine in Hong Kong who has a daughter with a rare form of dwarfism, got me thinking about hope. Nicole blogs beautifully from the heart, and you can read about her story at http://www.madeline-hope.blogspot.com/ In one of her posts, Nicole talks about what a mother hopes for when she finds out she’s pregnant. The usual response is “I don’t mind if it’s a boy or a girl, I just want a healthy baby”. This was exactly what I thought when I was pregnant with Carys. But if I had known back then that my baby would not have perfect health, would I have not wanted her? Absolutely not! Does having less than perfect health, or not being ‘normal’ mean it’s a life that’s not wanted? Again, absolutely not. What I should have said back then was “I don’t mind if it’s a boy or a girl, I just want THIS baby.” Carys has given us so much love, joy and inspiration. Every day I marvel at how smart, funny, caring and beautiful she is. I just hope that she knows we feel blessed to be her parents.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Donna, thanks for the nice words. I've been thinking about you and Carys and hoping for another update!

    ReplyDelete